Tuesday, January 31, 2006

In the Forests of the Night

Hi there, my good friends.

After a long silence, here I go again. Indeed, my job is taking a lot of my everydays life... So, the only moments I've got to write something by now are at night... Thus the title, since I'm writing this post at 4.30 a.m.

The few words of the title are quoted from a beautiful poem by William Blake, "The Tyger", from his "Songs of Experience". He referred to the Tyger, in opposition of "The Lamb" of his "Songs of Innocence", as an animal of 'fearful simmetry'. Many critics believed that he wanted to represent, with this figure, the mechanical creations of mankind, mostly because Blake used some peculiar terms to describe the 'birth' of the Tyger...

Quote:
What the hammer? What the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? What dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors grasp?

Indeed, Blake is a very fascinating poet. He wrote some of the most visionary and powerful poems of his period, and most of them could be read by now retaining their original impact, as they describe atavic feelings that could even relate with modern life. I reccomend to you all to take a look at his works... he was also a painter and an egraver. Have you ever seen the movie "Red Dragon", with Ralph Fiennes and Edward Norton? Well, the picture of the dragon was one of his fantastic paints.

Well, apart from Blake, I gotta admit that lately, I'm starting to feel better then the last part of the last year. Mostly because I decided to change something in my life. It's invigorating, sometimes, to look at ourselves, and decide to take a different path, to 'cleanse' ouselves from those things that we know are wrong, even if we enjoy them.

It helps us to become the person we want to be, I think. I didn't say it's an easy task... sometimes, it's almost impossible. But, with Will, Strenght, and Faith in ourselves, we can do ANYTHING we want. I firmly believe it. Those who couldn't do it... well, surely lack of one of those three. I don't feel to blame them for this, though... Sometimes, life can really be a Hell on Earth, and can guide us to our final destruction.

I think that it's part of 'the horror', that Conrad spoke about in his masterpiece, 'Heart of Darkness' (My, am I boring? ^_^' )... The decadence of the human soul, when it faces its real shape, its deepest desires and delusions... and couldn't go on after that.

Oh well... Looks like I'm rambling again. Maybe it's just too late, I can't focus clearly. Maybe it's the Darkness of the night around me, or another kind of Darkness around my spirit... inside my Heart... who knows...



See you around, my friends.

1 Comments:

Blogger [null] said...

Tiger, tiger, burning bright,
in the forests of the night
What fearless hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry...

Or something like that. I forgot how it goes, but I like this poem.

1/2/06 11:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home